We seek a Portfolio Manager to join our senior management team.
To date, BNT has developed 200 units of affordable rental and homeownership housing and 15,000 square feet of retail space. Currently, we have 48 units of housing and 2,500 square feet of retail space in construction. During the first quarter of 2017, BNT will start renovating 32 units and 6,000 sq. ft. of ground floor retail space. In addition, we have another 100 units in our development pipeline. BNT currently owns and manages 156 units of affordable housing and 15,000 sq. ft. of commercial space scattered in over 20 buildings. Annually, we also oversee 1,500 clients through our Homeownership Academy who are either pursing the American Dream of buying their first home or struggling to keep their home.
BNT has experienced a period of rapid growth in its work and its staff in the past five years. We currently have a staff of 21 and an active board of 9.
BNT has been recognized at the local and state levels for our work. We have successfully engaged philanthropic, governmental, and private donor stakeholders in support of our various initiatives.
BNT’s Property Management
In 2007, BNT created a property management and community building initiative to ensure successful housing for its residents. BNT provides affordable, safe, clean, housing for low to moderate income families in Bridgeport, CT. This division complements BNT’s real estate development activities by serving neighborhood residents, maintaining properties and supporting the community. BNT expects to add 65 units of affordable housing to its current portfolio by the end of the year. The Portfolio Manager will lead the Property Management Team which consists of a property manager, 4 maintenance technicians and 3 resident stewards and be responsible for the overall operations of BNT’s Portfolio.
- Establish strategic plan and objectives for portfolio including market position of property, occupancy, revenue, cost, capital improvements and resident services.
- Monitor the portfolio’s performance in relation to industry best practices, HUD funding issues, market conditions, market trends, and demographic changes.
- Monitor portfolio performance and prepares reports on occupancy, collections, move?in/out activity, turnaround time, delinquency and other key property management performance factors.
- Responsible for compliance with partnership agreement and regulatory agreements, maintaining positive relationships with the tax credit partners and other funders, and reporting on a timely basis.
- Develop systems for ensuring compliance with LIHTC and other public funding requirements. Prepares and analyzes reports related to property and tenant characteristic.
- Meets and confers with appropriate stakeholders, members of community and civic groups, professional associations, and residents regarding housing programs and community issues and concerns as appropriate.
- Develop and implement plans and procedures covering building cleaning, landscaping, sprinkler and fire safety, utilities and maintenance. Negotiate, evaluate and administer service contracts for all suppliers, vendors, and third party contractors. Establish and implement preventative maintenance program.
- Provides guidance to property manager’s rental activities, including, but not limited to eligibility, applications, move?ins, move? outs, terminations, evictions, tenant conflicts, etc, when needed. Reviews and processes all denied rental applicant appeals and requests for Reasonable Accommodations and coordinates with Property Manager to insure timely responses, consistency and accurate record keeping. Review and audit property manager tenant files for compliance, accuracy and timely filing;
Resident Relations and Satisfaction
- Oversee the marketing and screening of prospective applicants to determine eligibility, ensure compliance with LIHTC, Section 8, DSSC, HOME Housing programs and other public funding requirements.
- Ensure resident satisfaction and compliance with lease and project specific house rules and regulations including: implementation of marketing plan that complies with Affirmative Fair Housing Laws, application process and waiting lists that comply with tenant selection plans, initial interviews and certifications including third-party verified income, assets and expenses in accordance with funder’s requirements, empower residents to become self-sufficient by organizing tenant associations, providing referrals to social service partners, offering financial literacy and eviction prevention workshops through BNT's Academy, work in partnership with local service providers to provide case management services for residents living in permanent support housing units to ensure this vulnerable population’s success in housing.
- Inspect properties and units for timely turnovers and curb appeal. Provide support to the maintenance technicians to ensure timely completion maintenance work orders and grounds keeping and snow removal.
- Develop and implement staffing plans and job descriptions and promote continuous education for all on-site personnel. Establish goals and objectives for the performance of the on-site staff in meeting set goals and objectives in a timely and efficient manner. Prepare employee evaluations and make promotion and compensation recommendations.
Oversee Financial Reporting, Forecasting and Budgeting Processes
- Prepare annual property management operating budget for entire portfolio review and analyze monthly financial statements, maintain financial records of property operations, provide monthly report to CEO.
- Review and approve all property purchases recommended by team members.
- Examine all contracts for goods and services and authorize contracts in accordance with company policies and procedures and in accordance with budgetary guidelines.
- Review capital expenditure needs and bring to the attention of CEO for additional direction.